Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Gain That FlavourGain That Flavour

Politics

Trump administration to shutter HHS’ long COVID office: report

A federal office dedicated to the research of long COVID is set to close following the Trump administration’s decision to slash the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) workforce.

Ian Simon, head of the Office of Long COVID Research and Practice (OLC), made the announcement in an email on Monday, Politico reported.

‘The Office of Long COVID Research and Practice will be closing as part of the administration’s reorganization coming this week,’ the email read, according to Politico. ‘We are proud of what we have accomplished together, advancing understanding, resources, and support for people living with Long COVID.’

Fox News Digital reached out to HHS and Simon for more information, but they did not immediately respond.

It is unclear when the OLC will close nor whether its staff will remain employed by the federal government.

The Biden-era office was established as a federal response to the widespread and long-term effects of COVID, which can result in chronic conditions that require comprehensive care.

The decision to shutter the office comes after HHS Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said during his confirmation hearing in January that he was committed to continuing funding and prioritizing long COVID research.

However, President Donald Trump directed HHS in a presidential action last month to ‘terminate the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Long COVID.’

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) said more than $1.5 billion was approved in the last several years for its Researching COVID to Enhance Recovery (RECOVER) Initiative, which studies the impact of long COVID. 

The NIH reported in 2023 that 23 million people were affected by the illness, while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated in 2023 that 6% of American adults suffered from long COVID, down from 7.5% in 2022.

‘While our office is closing, we hope that the work we have been dedicated to will continue in some form,’ the email read.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

You May Also Like

Politics

President Donald Trump welcomed Jordan’s King Abdullah II at the White House on Tuesday, a visit that comes amid contentious discussions between the U.S....

Tech News

Image: Cath Virginia / The Verge Following years of litigation, a federal court has finally ruled it unconstitutional for the FBI to search communications...

Tech News

To update the firmware on your AirPods, first put them in the case. | Photo by Chris Welch / The Verge Apple updated its...

Tech News

Image: Sony Sony is upping the limited warranty on some InZone gaming monitors to three years and is tossing in OLED burn-in coverage for...