Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Gain That FlavourGain That Flavour

Tech News

TikTok reportedly plans ‘immediate’ Sunday shutdown in the US if it’s banned

Photo illustration of Tik Tok app icon being deleted.
Image: Cath Virginia / The Verge, Getty Images

TikTok will shut down entirely in the US on Sunday without intervention from the US Supreme Court, unnamed sources have told Reuters. That would go beyond the ban’s requirement for app stores to stop offering downloads of the app, but not immediately halt use of it.

If TikTok shuts down, it will show users a pop-up message pointing them to a website with information about the ban, according to the outlet’s sources. The company will also reportedly let users download all of their data.

On Friday last week, a lawyer for TikTok said during a Supreme Court hearing that the app will “go dark” if the court doesn’t pause the ban. The court’s decision on the matter could come as soon as today, and a shutdown is one of the possible outcomes for TikTok, whose executives recently told employees were “planning for various scenarios,” as we reported yesterday.

You May Also Like

Politics

President Donald Trump welcomed Jordan’s King Abdullah II at the White House on Tuesday, a visit that comes amid contentious discussions between the U.S....

Tech News

Image: Cath Virginia / The Verge Following years of litigation, a federal court has finally ruled it unconstitutional for the FBI to search communications...

Tech News

To update the firmware on your AirPods, first put them in the case. | Photo by Chris Welch / The Verge Apple updated its...

Tech News

Image: Sony Sony is upping the limited warranty on some InZone gaming monitors to three years and is tossing in OLED burn-in coverage for...